Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Letter to the Bishop of Peoria

Following is the text of a letter I recently mailed to the Bishop of Peoria. (Unfortuneately, the Bishop is not into email; so I had to send it via snail mail.)


Most Reverend Daniel R. Jenky, C.S.C., D.D.
Bishop of Peoria
419 NE Madison Ave.
Peoria, IL 61603-3719

Dear Bishop Jenky,

I'd like to thank you for your work as the head of the Peoria diocese. As one of your flock, I feel blessed with the leadership you have shown us. Just last month, I enjoyed taking part in the March for Men. That's just one example of the things you have been doing for us.

As a man of God, I am sure that you must be frustrated with some of the directions our country is going in. I find it frightening that our president would lead us towards a lack of respect for life. Unfortunately, most people seem to think that the economy is more important than the millions of unborn babies being killed.

I'd like to think that we Catholics have a better understanding of the real priorities. However, experience has shown that most Catholics are a lot like the rest of America. I'm sure at some point you will find it necessary to speak out against what is happening. I encourage you to be courageous when you do so.

Thank you.
Daniel J. Bohan